Saturday, September 01, 2007

reddit, not rabbit - the problem with randomly changing your logo

I was diligently researching for my next startup last night and came across an entry on The Free Dictionary.The good folks at Farlex, Inc. (who evidently like their company name so much that they include it in the logo?) aggregate a bunch of reference sources from around the web and place their ads next to them.

At the bottom of each entry is the ubiquitous set of icons -- only much bigger. That, and something else is atypical...They had the bad timing of ganking our logo on one of my more creative days (I know, changing the logo is a total Google rip-off, but hey, what I lack in originality, I make up for in quantity and randomness).Granted, reddit still isn't a social bookmarking site, but when I saw that rabid rabbit standing beside the giant Y, I didn't care.
It's particularly amusing considering the distinction we've made in the past between "reddit" and "rabbit." They may sound similar, but they're very different organisms. I even went so far as to create an instructive shirt to enumerate the differences.
A sleeveless shirt with a wide-eyed alien and a bunny on it -- I still can't imagine why it hasn't sold well...

Remember: