Thursday, April 17, 2008

reddit hiring explosion! we're up to 5


The ketralnis alien is born. This was really overdue; sorry it took so long, David. He's actually been here kicking our ass at the office, kicking our asses in StarCraft, for a while now.

Folks are often quite surprised when I tell them that reddit only has five people working on it. I'm not quite sure how to take it ("Have we become that mammoth and soulless or do we just tend to assume that large websites must necessarily have a large staff?")

Craiglist is the perfect example of a dynamite employee-to-user ratio. Someone has already calculated it, I'm sure, but I'm going to guess that it's something like 1 employee for every 1 trillion users. There, you can quote me on that. That's what we're aspiring to.

We're still nowhere near that ratio, but hopefully this will help people understand why we haven't implemented tagging yet.