Monday, April 28, 2008

breaking: the first reddit marriage proposal



Karen's self-post rocketed up the front page. We're still waiting to see his response (to quote redditor, SeanLazer: "I'm dying to find out which arrow he clicked!").

Here's her splendid first comment to accompany the self-post:
On Bended Keyboard

I'm here because of one man : Eric Fullenbaum is a great guy. I love him, and he loves me. But he also has a love for the net, and that's why I'm here - because I know this is where he'll be!

The story: Eric is my boyfriend of six years, a classic nerd: a fantastic American guy who loves to build things through his MAC, who has code-happy fingers and has taught me loads about the Web, blogging and sites like Reddit.com, Joel on Software and how to appreciate a great Apple!

Unbeknownst to me, he would use the one liners describing the articles aggregated in Reddit.com to engage me in discussion but also to tease me and lure me into figuring out who sourced them! In spite of working in the digital space and thinking I am no web greenhorn, he outsmarted me at every turn till one of his friends helped me out! I have since become a fan myself and now do the same to my family and friends!!

More than a year ago, I was relocated to Amsterdam and Eric stayed in London. Being in a long distance relationship is hard and not for the faint-hearted. However, we keep at it and he uses Reddit to keep the flame alive whilst I use Digg and Kottke to fan it.

Six years on, the flames are still burning brightly and we both know that we will spend our lives together, with marriage on the cards. But Eric has thus far failed to bend his knee and play his hand, though I know it's time to lay the cards on the table. And so, using the very medium to which he turned me on, I am now going "all in".

Eric Fullenbaum - will you take a nerd widow and make her your wife.

Translation: Will you marry me?