Friday, July 20, 2007

reddit: "particularly inane and dangerous"

Scott Butki of Blogcritics.org did a recent interview with Andrew Keen, author of The Cult Of The Amateur. He was asked the following:

I'm sure the readers of these sites, who are of all political, racial, ideological stripes, who often find the most popular debates are over controversial and contentious issues, would like to know what makes you sure your description of them is better than mine. Did you actually visit some of these sites and participate in them before dismissing them?

To which he responded:

I did look at Reddit, which is particularly inane and dangerous.

As you can tell, Mr. Keen is a big fan of what's going on at reddit ;-) I'm so proud.

Not only that, he's pretty scared of the "nightmare" that is Web 2.0. I can think of a lot of words I'd call it, but nightmare isn't one of them. Oh well, I'll let him speak for himself -- here's the email debate he had with David Weinberger.

In the meantime, I think I'm going to try to send him a shirt...


*pic ganked from WSJ.com

5 comments:

Elbridge said...

Reddit is scary to those whose careers rely on lies.

Unknown said...

This blog is inane. It wishes it could be dangerous.

alexis [kn0thing] said...

@duc
Inane? Yes. But I really don't wish it were dangerous.

Anonymous said...

Wish I didn't have to log into Blogger to post on this.

Love the site, but I wish I could simply rank comments by points alone -- allowing even responding comments to be pushed above their parent. More options, please...

alexis [kn0thing] said...

Well, if you don't mind breaking the nesting you can view comments in "flat" mode and sort 'um by top rated. Does that do the trick?