Tuesday, August 28, 2007

save our earth... and drink fiji bottled water?

This was a curious juxtaposition in my Marriott bathroom.

The offer they make to not wash towels is a solid appeal to anyone's inner treehugger, but sitting next to that imported bottle of H2O it feels a bit hollow.

I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought if I hadn't seen this article on reddit a while back: "1 liter Bottled Water uses 26 Liters Water + 1 Kg Fossil Fuel + 1 Pound CO2."

Yikes. I won't bother summarizing; you pretty much get the gist of it from the headline.

I'm a big fan of what I call "passive activism," because it makes me feel slightly less guilty about all the negative repercussions of my existence with a minimal amount of effort.

So when I'm given the chance to "help conserve the Earth's vital resources," I'm happy to oblige -- I just wonder if the Fiji Water company knows it's paying for ironic product placement.

According to my friends in Williamsburg, irony is very in right now. Maybe they even paid a premium for it.


UPDATE: Alexis still prefers drinking his Brooklyn tap water (through the filtered water pitcher in his fridge). If the Brooklyn Water Management, Co. would like to reach Mr. Ohanian for a product endorsement, please contact him via email (alexis@reddit.com).

4 comments:

RabidHamster said...

I recall reading an article in The Economist some months back which basically stated that concepts such as buying local were actually MORE detrimental.

Something to do with economies of scale applied to larger shipments.

I think my point is, there's just so many variables which go into determining what is more environmentally conscious and what is more ethical or morally aligned with our societal values that simply saying "bottled water from Fiji is bad" doesn't cut it for the average thinking man or woman.

--

The Banjo Players Must Die

Unknown said...


Fiji Water


Tell the average thinking man or woman this and they'll never buy fiji water again unless they are a total douchebag.

fta : "Fiji Water produces more than a million bottles a day, while more than half the people in Fiji do not have reliable drinking water."

There is a plethora of news stories about Fiji water problems if you need sources.

alexis [kn0thing] said...

I'm a big fan of my Brooklyn tap water; I'd totally do product endorsements for it.

I hope you're reading this, Brooklyn Water Management, Co.

JannethManalu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.