Sunday, September 28, 2008

alltop: "all topics, all the time"... almost

Catching up on my bloated inbox after a couple weeks of vacation, I found this solicitation from none other than Guy Kawasaki. We've never spoken, but we did share a plane ride together once. Ergo, I became eligible for this email:

I’d like to show you my latest project: Alltop. Alltop is a website that functions as an “online magazine rack” with the latest from a wide variety of news sources and blogs covering “all topics.” Many of the Alltop sites are very useful to entrepreneurs, investors, and everyone else in the high-tech community:

I'd just finished watching my beloved DC football team upset our arch-rivals, the Cowboys and could use a nice aggregation of Skins news since sports.reddit doesn't quite have my obsessive narrowmindedness. I'm also very web-lazy, so when I got to Alltop, I gave search a try.

And on a search for "redskins" I got 0 results. Alltop could find no topics.

I decided to push on and click through Sports/ProFootball and finally came to a page that looked strikingly similar to popurls - except it was just a collection of "all the top football news," which was exactly what I didn't want. I just need a collection of the best news about a specific topic, the Washington Redskins. Guess I'm going to stick with Chris Cooley's blog...

Sorry, Guy, your newest project isn't quite mixing my Gatorade, so to speak. But Thomas of popurls ought to be feeling quite flattered.