Sunday, April 13, 2008

valleywag teaches me a new word and proclaims our friendship all in the same article

I know you're here for the new word, which is apotheosis.

ideal: model of excellence or perfection of a kind; one having no equal

As in, Facebook's "People You May Know" feature a geek apotheosis, the headline of a recent Owen Thomas piece. Even though Y Combinator's HackerNews is banning Valleywag, I've got no beef. And when they do stuff like this, making me feel like the prettiest belle at the ball, it's hard to dislike them.

Sure, I thought Facebook was a little off when it hinted I might be friends with Jimmy Wales, but the service is barely out of beta. Other suggestions, like Reddit cofounder Alexis Ohanian, who I met casually once at a bar, is a perfectly suited addition to my list of Facebook "friends." Thus my faith in Mark Zuckerberg's ever-improving software remains unshaken.
There you go, proof that an open bar and Mark Sugarmountain can connect people like never before.

I happened to meet Jimmy Wales briefly at a party, too -- I even gave him a reddit pin, which he wore (note to scrappy startups: begging/blackmailing Internet celebrities into wearing your schwag is perfectly acceptable. In another century, they called it "gumption"). But facebook doesn't think we should be friends. Hmpf.

BTW, Owen, I just poked you.