Sunday, August 12, 2007

build a reddit clone

My Google News Alerts alerted me to a recent ScriptLance project.

I want a clone of reddit.com but I want the news posts coming from different RSS feeds that I can specify. But it should have the option for user to post sites as well.

Basically people will see new news posts and they should be able to vote for them . Vote should be in the form of Agree Disagree (should show results in bar graph with percent) . Sample : http://manager.co.th/Home/ViewNews.aspx?NewsID=9500000094325

Visitors should also be able to comment on the news in a threaded reply system. Comments should have a block feature so users can click to block in appropriate comments.
I must confess, I love saying "reddit clone." Sometimes I slip it randomly into conversations.
I want to you use this website for a non English speaking country (Thailand), and in the future other countries as well. Please design with localization in mind.

You can take the open source pligg and modify if needed.

Damn, you know, we're really close to finally re-releasing our multilingual reddits (with translated UIs). In fact, I should be translating the reddit UI into German for Chris right now...
Code must be optimise for high traffic site (500,000) visits a day.
Ambitious. I like it.

Only 5 days left to bid! It's a shame that Steve's non-compete will prohibit him from pocketing a few extra bucks.

0 comments: